Monday, July 4, 2016

Made It Monday #flexibleseating Crates



I'm linking up with Tara over at 

Fourth Grade Frolics

to share one of the
#flexibleseating choices 
in my room...
I've been using chair balls for the past 4 years with great success.
However, last year, I took the proverbial dive and 
headed into total #flexibleseating after 
watching some of Angie Olsen's wonderful periscopes 
on how it works in her second grade class.
(She has a FABULOUS resource page on her blog
dedicated to #flexibleseating. Click HERE to check it out!)

I've seen numerous crate seats that have fluff and stuff on the top
and provide for storage inside....my dad helped me create a 
modified version with just a wooden seat...
Mom helped to paint as well as create some small 
colorful frog throw pillows that 
students can choose to sit on top of the crate boards
or on the floor.

The kids LOVED the ability to choose whether or not they
had a pillow and (of course) which pillow they wanted to use!
#itsallaboutchoice
#kidsdeserveit
#whynot?

One of the biggest comments from my 4th graders this year
is that they wished they had more crate seats to choose for 
seating options...
so....

On my summer trip to the family home, Dad cut out 
two more crate tops from some wood in his 
wood shed... yep...no $... just scrap wood!

Mom had some leftover white paint to help 
seal the wood...

and then the fun of the designing started...

I got to create our class mascot...
the Swamp Frog...

and Mom went to work painting 
the boards for the 
crates.... 
(she does nail designs too :)




they're sprayed to make the design durable
and ready to go for the new year...
...which starts the beginning of 
August!

I haven't "ditched the desks" 
just yet.... I find my 4th graders enjoy sitting
at desks....just modified the seating options...
that go with the desks...
I've lowered some of the desks to allow for 
crate seats...raised some of the desks to allow for
ball chairs...and raised some of the desks to allow
for the standing option!
(Found some bed risers at a garage sale this summer
to try out making the standing desks even taller!)

Do you use #flexibleseating in your room?

What options do you use in your class?


Don't forget to sign up for the 
this year!

We're adding a new component this year
with the game of 24...
I love to connect our students to share the learning!

Don't forget to check out more links and 
Made it Monday ideas...


7 comments:

  1. How cute are those seats?! I use them at my small group table and love them:) Thank you for linking up:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never tried flexible seating but I see more and more teachers discussing it, I may have to look into it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The frogs crate seats are adorable! LOVE them!
    Alison
    Rockin' and Lovin' Learnin'

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed reading your post! And - happy 4th!! Please visit my Monday Made It HERE. Have a great week! Pam from PJ Jots

    ReplyDelete
  5. This are wonderful. It's so nice to have "handy" family members!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE the frog crates!!! I bet your students REALLY enjoy using those :)
    Julie
    The Techie Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm impressed with all the choices you have given to your students. Great idea to lower some of the desks. I have used bathroom rugs on the students' chairs. They love options in their school day.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Beti

    ReplyDelete