Sunday, July 20, 2014

#SBS14 Chapters 7 & 8 Thoughts and Shares

This summer has been a whirlwind of travels and fun!
The last seven days, seven hours, 57 minutes, and 9 seconds have been crewing for my husband as he ran 314 miles from Hickman, KY to Castle Rock, GA in the "Last Annual Vol State Race"….craziness….for sure… fun…not sure about that!…tired…don't think I'm totally back to myself just yet….accomplishment!…YES!


To wrap up our book study on Debbie Diller's "Making the Most of Small Groups", I found some shares and thoughts about chapters 7 and 8….I hope you've enjoyed the book as much as I have this summer!  Lots of good resources and ideas to help me dig deeper into my small group meetings this year!

*****Chapter 7 (Phonics) Shares*********
"Phonics is a method of teaching reading that emphasizes letter-sound relationships. It involves the associations between sounds and how they are represented by print. The goal of phonics is to teach students the most commonly used sound-spelling relationships so that they can decode all kinds of words."
Debbie Diller. Making the Most of Small Groups: Differentiation for All (Kindle Locations 1972-1974). Kindle Edition. 

"Phonemic awareness involves working with the sounds of letters, whereas phonics involves working with print-attaching sounds to letters and blending them to make words."
Debbie Diller. Making the Most of Small Groups: Differentiation for All (Kindle Locations 1978-1979). Kindle Edition. 

According to research there are several different ways to appropriately teach phonics…so, I think I'll stick to the way the basal reader introduces the phonic lessons for now…I think the big idea is teaching the letter & sound relationships and let the kiddos practice them by reading & writing!

One piece of research which I thought was useful info:  If you're a good reader, phonic instruction will help your spelling….If your a poor reader, phonic instruction has a small impact on your spelling…

"Children who have already developed phonics skills and can apply them in the reading process do not require the same level and intensity of phonics instruction provided to children who don't have these skills."
Debbie Diller. Making the Most of Small Groups: Differentiation for All (Kindle Locations 2023-2024). Kindle Edition

Meaning to me…yes it IS important to intro and have that phonic lesson whole group first….then break into small groups to hit it more with those that "don't get it"….instead of doing just the whole group thing again… and "doing a worksheet" is NOT the best way to help kiddos get the phonics they need…they need hands on manipulation with writing involved…that way they're USING what they're learning…

Debbie's book has several sample lesson plans to go along with the different ways you might meet with small groups to discuss phonics….Figure 7.12 is a great chart to help identify some of the things you might want to take notes on for student behaviors as they're reading for you…

She also has some great ideas for things "to do" with the kiddos to help them recognize and use the patterns and sound teams they're learning…along with some suggestions on literacy stations to use with phonics to help them practice what they're learning…

Life in First Grade has some ideas for literacy stations that could be bumped up or down for whatever you are working on…
Here's a PINTEREST board on some literacy station ideas…
Serenade to Second Grade has a blog post on some literacy station ideas…
I Love 2 Teach has some ideas and freebies also…

Right now I'm playing with some ideas for Literacy Stations…
I'm thinking about
***listening to reading…I've got this DVD of story idea running around my head that I haven't quite put together at this time…I'll post to the blog when it finally comes together :)
***computer…where they have to practice typing - maybe spelling words, sentences, or a story?…I think I'm going to have them work in googledocs so I can check their work from any computer instead of having to go look to see what they did :)
***writing station…where they do lists…journals…tweets…squiggle stories…
***work with words…this is where the phonics will come into play…I want them to manipulate and create words and write words and listen to words…still thinking on this one…


******Chapter 8 (Vocabulary) Shares*******
This was probably my favorite chapter of the whole book…now that could have been just because I was tired and trudging through the backwoods of TN 2 miles at a time…but I LOVE her thoughts on Vocabulary development…and I actually understand the Tiers of vocabulary better now!

***I'm going to use her idea of having the kids make a note (on a sticky note of course, cause what kid doesn't like to write on them) of the word(s) they find that are new to them or they have a question about while reading…

Debbie talks about the different kinds of vocabulary…
  Oral Vocabulary (speaking & listening)
  Print Vocabulary (reading & writing)
as well as the fact that we have different levels of "knowing words"… 
Here's a Rate the Word chart that I modified from somewhere…and I'd love to tell you where…but the brain is just not thinking…just know the idea was borrowed and tweaked…but it was useful for me

click HERE to download


Debbie says the first step is to get the kids MOTIVATED to learn new words…. she has a great and simple way of defining the tiers of vocabulary that made it much easier for me to understand…and that I want to spend the time introducing and teaching the tier 2 words to help increase the vocab…

Tier I-basic words…decodable and recognizable (sight words & high frequency words)

Tier II-words used frequently by people with mature speech (words we choose to use for direct teaching to expand vocab)

Tier III-not frequently used or mostly used in the content specific areas…(science & SS lessons)

Best quote of the chapter…."Most new vocabulary will be learned INDIRECTLY"

Debbie has some good strategy suggestions for giving kids the tools to try to determine the new meaning of a word or phrase….but is quick to say that simply copying the dictionary definition of the word is NOT going to help them much in aquiring and really USING new vocab…
**Children need to use a new word OVER & OVER again to really KNOW the word.**

Another tidbit that stuck out for me was that students with larger vocabularies benefit more from hearing stories read aloud….go figure…those read alouds really aren't just taking up time…if you're taking time to talk about what they hear!

Debbie shares a picture of a Words Worth Chart where vocab words are broken into their tiers by money values…10 cent words (big)….25 cent words (huge)…dollar words (enormous)….this might be a great idea for a hall chart that the kids can use as they're waiting for the restroom break to be over :)

She also has some good charts on what to look for when a child is struggling with vocab words and how you might help them... 

She shares a picture of another chart idea that you could create with the kids…
Interesting Words…break the chart into four sections and label with nouns/verbs/adjectives/adverbs…as you do read alouds…have students choose a word they thought was interesting and put it on the chart in the appropriate section…you could even add some "kid-friendly" definitions to the words on the chart….

Strategy suggestions for focus lessons on vocab….
*recognize that it's a new word (true? they can sound out the word, but have no idea what it means and just keep on reading..? teach them to slow down and actively find out what it means.
*get meaning from the context and picture clues
*learn definitions of multiple meaning words…
*Use word parts to determine the meaning of the new word…(prefixes & suffixes)
*think about book language and idioms…deliberately teach what idioms are and how to think about them…
*use informational text features like bold and italicized words.
*dictionaries…last resort…
*try the word in new context and variety of ways...


Second Story Window has a great post on their "Jargon Journal" ideas for an interactive vocabulary notebook…they also offer a freebie unit to test it out...
Scaredy Squirrel interactive vocabulary unit


That concludes my thoughts and shares for the book study this summer!
Hope you got some good ideas and learned some new things!


I had a blast working through the book with you!

Enjoy your day....I plan on just sitting here and working on my computer with "real internet connections" and NO plans of where am I going to park to make sure I meet up with the hubs!
(Well until he gets another ultra run planned out in his head :)

1 comment:

  1. Thanks, as always, for your shares. I was excited to see that my Literacy Centers Pinterest Board (http://www.pinterest.com/shellycummings/literacy-centers/) was one of them when I was clicking through your links! I'm a bit obsessed with Pinterest - to see all of my boards, follow this link: http://www.pinterest.com/shellycummings/.

    Thanks, again!
    :) Shelly

    ReplyDelete