Friday, July 4, 2014

#SBS14 Chapter 6 Thoughts and Shares on Phonemic Awareness

*****Chapter 6*****
Phonemic Awareness

"Phonological awareness and phonemic awareness are related terms that are often used interchangeably by teachers. However, they do not mean exactly the same thing. Phonological awareness is an umbrella term that refers to an understanding of spoken words, and includes an awareness of words, syllables, rhymes, and individual sounds."
Debbie Diller. Making the Most of Small Groups: Differentiation for All (Kindle Locations 1521-1523). Kindle Edition. 


*****Debbie talks about the importance of rhyme which made me think about how much emphasis I actually put on the rhyming aspect in second grade…definitely not as much as I placed on teaching this concept as when I taught in First…maybe I need to revamp my thinking and teaching on rhyme in second…
I like the rhyming chart that Ms. Bird used to keep track of the kids' skills…Here's my version for my binder
Download it HERE

-I also like how Debbie talks about holding one finger up for each word in a sentence…I do this during spelling test dictation sentence time…as I say the sentence they're to write…we all hold up a finger for each word I'm saying and then go back and check our work…I don't always count the sentences for a grade, but it does give me good feedback as to how the children are applying the phonetic and spelling skills we've been talking about that week...


"phonemic awareness-the ability to play with those smallest speech sounds in language, phonemes."
Debbie Diller. Making the Most of Small Groups: Differentiation for All (Kindle Locations 1545-1546). Kindle Edition. 

"Much of your phonological and phonemic awareness teaching will take place in whole group, and many students will develop phonemic awareness from this large-group teaching as well as from the language interactions they're having with adults at home. However, some children will probably have difficulty hearing and playing with the sounds of language. These are the students with whom you will want to work in small-group lessons for phonological or phonemic awareness. "
Debbie Diller. Making the Most of Small Groups: Differentiation for All (Kindle Locations 1587-1589). Kindle Edition. 

*****I do most of my phonic instruction whole group…but I find that I need to re-visit the skills during small group instruction for my SI group of kids…
-Debbie gives suggested lesson focuses as well as materials you may wish to choose to help you with teaching phonemic awareness…
-She has suggested lessons to work with each area of phonemic development that will be a great resource to review when putting together small group lessons!


How about you?  Got any good ideas for helping your students develop phonemic awareness?  I'd love to hear them!  Comment below to share with us!

Happy Fourth of July!
Enjoy your day,

No comments:

Post a Comment