Friday, June 13, 2014

You Oughta Know June Blog Hop

I'm excited to be linking up with Jasmine McClain from "Buzzing with Mrs. McClain"
for the June
#yououghtaknowbloghop 

(which starts tomorrow at 9am...but gotta post when the internet is 
good when you're traveling :)

and in my humble opinion...You Oughta Know about 

This has been a VERY successful way of sharing information
with my class parents!

Parents can sign up via text messaging OR email to receive your sends!

AND 

You can send from your device using the handy dandy app...
or for the android device using google play

It's a FREE service and you can create as many classes as you like...
You'll get your own share code and a pdf for how to have your parents sign up to receive your texts and notices.

Remind101 allows mobile devices to attach pictures now so I can take a photo of the homework board or paper that needs to be returned and parents can SEE what they're looking for in their child's backpack :)  

Remind101 even keeps track of all the notices I send out so I have an ongoing record of the communications that I've been sending!

But the best thing is that I can SCHEDULE...yes you heard me...SCHEDULE when I want a text to be sent...so I can set up reminders to be sent on the weekend for the rest of the week..
Like spelling test reminders...
homework due reminders...
project turn in date reminders...
special days coming up reminders...

I also sent "SHOUT OUT" TEXTS to recognize special goals that were reached...
for instance when students earned 25 AR points, I would send a shout out!
Or when someone became 100% fluent on Reflex Math in Addition and Subtraction..

You can even create a widget to post on your classroom blog/website that will show what reminders have been sent so that even those without texting can see up to date info...like this widget from my classroom blog...

When I was the communications officer for my son's high school band of 250 members...
I  had a Remind101 account set up to send out texts to remind both students and parents of events...
so there's no limit on the amount of people that can join your group.

You also have the ability to delete people as well as groups.
AND 
No One sees YOUR personal cell number...
They can't reply to the text that the Remind101 program sends out...
so you'll want to make sure they can contact you via email
 if they have questions or concerns about a text.

Enjoy,
My son is trying to win a Music Scholarship from our local music store.
Would you take a moment to vote for him?  
Just click on his photo below to go to the Facebook Link...
Thanks so much!

And just in case you didn't notice the date....
it IS Friday THE 13TH and it is a FULL MOON!
Beach fun begins at sundown!

8 comments:

  1. Hi Heidi,
    What a wonderful idea. I can see this being so useful in a busy teacher's life. Thank you for sharing.
    Debbie
    Crockett's Classroom, Forever in Third Grade

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful idea! I try and send e-mails, but this would be much handier!

    Linda
    The Purple Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing! I didn't know about this. =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whoa, this could be life-changing for me! Thank you for this! I am going to ask my principal if I can use this next year!

    Tiffany
    KTeacherTiff

    ReplyDelete
  5. Heidi this is one of my favorite apps! Such a great way to remind parents and students of a variety of things.

    ((Hugs))
    Tiffany

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have heard of Remind 101 but I have never used it; this year it would have come in handy though. This was one of the things that I said that I had to do for the upcoming school year! Thanks again for reminding me about Remind 101 lol!

    Jasmine
    Buzzing With Mrs. McClain

    ReplyDelete
  7. I didn't know about this before. Thank you for sharing. Teaching Science With Lynda

    ReplyDelete