Sunday, June 29, 2014

#SBS14 More Shares on Chapter 3 "Making the Most of Small Groups"

*********My favorite quote from Chapter 3 **********
Trying to see every group every day will not yield quality teaching. Remember, quality, not quantity. It's not about how many groups you can "fit into" a day. Rather, it's about meeting the needs of students in small groups.
Debbie Diller. Making the Most of Small Groups: Differentiation for All (Kindle Locations 542-543). Kindle Edition.

-Debbie recommends about 20 minutes per group in grades 1 and up…
How many minutes do you schedule for your groups?

I usually go until I “feel” we’re running out of steam or the activity I wanted to do is complete.  
When I had my “bookclub” group up and going, we could literally be engaged for 30 minutes if I let them...but I used the Aurasma app and created auras to help them identify with some of the vocabulary and visualization of the story we were reading. You can see some of our Auras on the my kids’ blog HERE

I’ve never been a “timer” group kind of teacher...I try to monitor the clock, but I always feel if the kids are doing well and the groove is good...keep on keepin’ on  :)

-I love Debbie’s suggestion of using recording devices for kids to read into and check fluency.  I think there’s an app or two that I was looking at earlier this summer that I may go back and check out.  A friend of mine used AtoZ (maybe) and kids could read a passage and then she would go back into listen to them…
Anybody use this kind of technique for fluency?

Any suggested apps or thoughts on how you might have students record and share their recordings to increase fluency levels?


-I agree with flexible grouping!  I love the chart stand that I created last year based on Carol Stafford’s idea.  The kids know where to go and how to check on what station they’re at.  You can read more about it (math version)  HERE
I created a reading version as well...You just flip the stand (pictured above) around and I have the reading on the back.

Here’s a pdf of the file for Reading Small Group Maps
Screen shot 2014-06-29 at 9.11.52 AM.pngScreen shot 2014-06-29 at 9.12.10 AM.png Screen shot 2014-06-29 at 9.12.25 AM.png



I’ve also created the small group organizer that Debbie shows in her book using the file folder.  Then have sticky notes of the kids’ names to manipulate as you create small groups based on the data.
Photo Jun 28, 6 12 48 PM.jpg  Photo Jun 28, 6 12 33 PM.jpg

But since I’m planning on making a binder for my small group plans...I thought I’d make one I could put into a page protector and manipulate names in the binder...not sure yet which way is best.  
Here’s the template for the binder version.
Screen shot 2014-06-29 at 9.22.59 AM.png

Check back soon for more updates and shares.  I know I’m a little behind schedule, but summer plans changed.  Thanks for being patient with me :)


1 comment:

  1. Love the things you've created for your reading groups! This year my groups were usually about 15-20 minutes long. That way I could fit them all in most days and there was enough time for the activities kids did with my parents volunteers. I'm looking forward to posting about chapter 6! Thanks for letting me be a part of the book study!
    Chrissy
    First Grade Found Me

    ReplyDelete