Monday, December 9, 2013

Gearing Up for Grinch Day 2013 ~ Second Grade Style!

I LOVE LOVE LOVE the Grinch!
And Grinch Day has been a favorite of mine since 2010...
when I moved to second grade this year, I was worried about doing Grinch Day again...
....some of the same kids....wasn't sure if they would think it was too "Oh..so first gradeish"...
But...not to worry... I took a vote 
and you would have thought I had a 
HUGE brain bubble to even consider thinking that there would be NO Grinch Day  in second grade...

"How will we make our Grinch Dust?"

"When will we get to talk about all the Grinchy things he does?"

"Don't you want to wear your Grinch Shirt this year?"
(shirt???? just A shirt???? I have a week's worth of Grinch Wear...and NOT just shirts either!
So...here's my take on what I "think" Grinch Day in Second Grade will look like for us this year...

Grinch Dust...apparently is a must...(kid's words...not mine)...
Here's a new topper for the baggie..

Need a reminder on how to make Grinch Dust...just hop over to this older post...HERE...

We're learning problem solving strategies playing the game of Tapatan...
so here's a Grinch and Heart Tapatan board for some Math Partner Stations...


I went to Math.About.Com and printed off some regrouping with subtraction worksheets...added the Grinch graphic from above....and Voila....Grinch Math...

After listening to the story....and watching the animated movie...I thought I'd change things up this year
with this "quick draw" YouTube video of "How the Grinch Stole Christmas"...love the drawing aspect as it leads into directed drawing of the Grinch quite nicely...



Kathy Barbro at...
has a cool directed draw for the Grinch on her site...

I think we'll draw him in the middle of our paper and then use the phrase sort to put phrases to 
describe the Grinch at the beginning of the story as well as at the end of the story.
You can pick up the phrases here..


I'll have to let you know if I come up with more...I LOVED our "How to Make the Grinch Grins" from First grade...but gotta think opinion writing...so maybe we'll write about "Why" we think the Grinch is so mean at the beginning of the story and "What Caused" him to change his opinion to be nicer at the end of the story...not sure just yet...

Hope you have a Grinchy Day planned for your kiddos!
If you've got some ideas for writing or other activities for a second grade Grinch Day...please leave a comment and let me know...I'd LOVE to hear about what you do!

Keep Calm
and 
Grinch On!

No comments:

Post a Comment