Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Math Task Craftivity

I love starting the year with the book 
Giraffes Can't Dance 
(I also love being able to purchase the used books on Amazon!...72 cents....well there is shipping
but still an amazing price !)

I started linking literature to math tasks last year .... and then my mom helped me start creating 
crafts that went with the activity of the math problems to become

Students create a craft to manipulate and model math task solutions
then write about their solutions!

Talk about more bang for your buck...
...multitasking...
...putting the FUN back into my math time :)

I can do a "read - a - loud" and discuss a comprehension strategy...
AND
work on a small muscle, listening to and following directions craft...
AND
manipulate pieces for the craft to help my students SEE the possible solutions to a task
(you know...what we 'used to call' word problems)
AND 
work on writing skills as the kids write about what they did to solve the problems and how they know they are right in their solution!

Thanks, MOM!
Check out our first attempt last year HERE
and then take a gander at our revision of the math task for this year!





You can download the Gerald Math Task from my 

YouTube has a great reading of Giraffes Can't Dance...
Scan this QR code to watch it :)
Oh yeah, there will be more about how I use these cool little things with my listening station 
'coming to a post near you' ... soon... :)

And one more thing....I'll be holding a give away this weekend for one of those 
fabulous pencil sharpeners that I ABSOLUTELY LOVE!
So be sure to check back and see how you can enter!
psstt...if you're attending the SCS Second Grade Math Curriculum Guide Training on Friday, July 19th
I 'MAY' have one of these wonderful pencil sharpers to give away then too :)

if you're an avid 'Facebooker', you might want to check out  
I try to share some of the wonderful things others are blogging about here as well as any freebies that might be out in blogland at the moment... not to mention I figured out how to upload freebies on this page...so HOP over and check it out.

Have a GREAT day!

1 comment: