Sunday, June 2, 2013

K2 Math Fact Fluency Book Study Begins: Chapter 1 and 2 Discussions


“Mastering the Basic Math Facts in Addition and Subtraction:  Strategies, Activities, and Interventions to Move Students Beyond Memorization”  by Susan O’Connell and John SanGiovanni

K2 Math Fact Fluency Online Summer Book Study 2013

Introduction Chapter:
*Goal:  To master basic math facts (facts with addends of 0-10) to build a strong foundation for more complex math skills and procedures. (pg.1)
Master = by exploring numerous strategies and activities to develop an
 UNDERSTANDING and AUTOMATICITY.

KEY IDEA
Students must UNDERSTAND the concept BEFORE they can commit to memory.

Since it looks like we’re moving into CRA Math Tasks for the younger grades this year, I think it’s VERY important that we work to help our students UNDERSTAND the math so that they can focus on the tasks and not just regurgitate a formula.

*How can we help students master basic math facts?  ONGOING practice and ENGAGEMENT with math facts tasks….NOT traditional drill and practice…
         *~although I think there is a place for written fluency checks in this idea of ongoing practice…not that they’re necessarily every day…but that once in awhile …I’m going to check to see if you really are developing a fluency with these facts.

I LOVE….
 Automaticity/Fluency Practice:
Scattered practice- 5-10 minutes a day, spread throughout the year.  Brief, FREQUENT, interactive activities that provide repeated exposure to math facts!

Pg.9 starts discussing …  Suggested Teaching Sequence of Math Facts
                  good chart on pg. 12
FOUNDATION FACTS:      
         +1/+2
         +0
         +10
         Doubles
         Making Ten
BUILDING on the FOUNDATION:
         using tens
         using doubles

Chapter ONE:
KEY IDEA
Build understanding of the addition and subtraction concepts
BEFORE beginning on memorization.

“Without the “BIG IDEAS” to hold them together, math facts are just isolated bits of knowledge.” pg16

Build MEANING before focusing on Fluency…
EXPLORE symbolic Representations
Write equations helps solidify symbolic representation! pg18


Download some Math Talk Cards

More thoughts to come :)


4 comments:

  1. I will be following along this book study as I have a few weeks left of school. I think early numeracy is crucial for later understanding of math facts. Dice, card and domino games can help this skill.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to have you join the study, Sylvia. I agree with the Dice and Domino games to help build numeracy concepts. I hope to share some "finds" on more games this week. If you have any....please let me know :)

      Delete
  2. I won't be able to be involved in this book study as much as I would like to be as I am also still in school until next week. I promise to be more involved beginning next week! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I teach first grade in Ohio and I just found out about this book study. I still need to get the book. Looks like a great resource!

    First Grade Frame of Mind

    ReplyDelete