Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Equal Equations with Eggs


Take a trip to the Dollar Tree...add a cute chickie basket, some plastic eggs, and a permanent marker to the mix...and you get a cheap quick and easy way to practice equal sums for a math station that can last for awhile!

I broke the eggs apart and put them back together with different colors for the tops and bottoms...using the permanent marker, I came up with some equations for the numbers 4-15...I added one equation for the top and another for the bottom.  
The idea is for the kids to search through the basket and match up the equal sums to put together each egg.  


I mad a quick recording sheet that can be added to a pocket protector and then used with expo markers to write down the equations that they are matching...you can also print out the sheet and have them use crayons, markers, or pencils to complete for a 
quick assessment of equal equations.


Found this great idea on Pinterest for using pom poms as erasers on expo markers....so I'm going to have to try it out!  I have those little erasers from the Dollar Spot at Target, but this idea was just too cute not to try!  I think, when the marker runs dry, I'll just switch the marker bottom for a new marker....
don't know who the original thinker was...
but this was a great think!

Join the linky party over at 
and see what neat ideas you can create 
with things you have at home or in the class.

You can see how Cynthia put together a quick and easy game
to practice math facts using a tissue box...!



enjoy,

11 comments:

  1. Very cute! I'm so ready to bring out all my egg activities!


    Rowdy in First Grade

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE this! This is such a cute idea and SO needed right now. Some of my kiddos are having such a hard time with this concept. I love anything with Easter eggs too. :) Thanks so much for the great idea. My kids will love this!
    Sarah
    Sarah's First Grade Snippets

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I love using the eggs for addition and subtraction facts! Thanks for the freebie!

    Teresa

    2nd Grade Pig Pen

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE both of your ideas. The pom-poms on the markers makes me say..."DUH" (to myself, of course...haha).

    Thanks for linking up. I hope you'll join me every week!

    :-)
    Cynthia
    2nd Grade Pad

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh how cool! I love the idea of using the pom poms for the eraser! lol And who wouldn't love activities with the plastic easter eggs. There are so many different shapes and sizes now, the options are almost endless! Thank you for sharing!

    Danielle
    Crayonbox Learning

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the pom-pom ideas. I'm shopping for my eggs tomorrow. The egg activity will be perfect for math stations. Thanks for sharing.
    Petersons-Pad

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is such a cute and useful idea! Thank you for sharing it! I will be using it in my 1st/2nd grade classroom:)
    Primary Classrooms are Oceans of Fun

    ReplyDelete
  8. These Equal Egg Equations are great! I will definitely be using them. I just shared them on my facebook page too.

    Mr. Giso's Room to Read

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOVE the egg equations! Our school is having an egg hunt and there are tons of plastic Easter eggs left over. I already have word in that I want the leftovers. My kiddos will LOVE these! Thank you for sharing. (I found you through 2nd Grade Pad's Take It and Make It Thursday!)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love this - I found it Thursday and made it to use Friday morning! :)

    ReplyDelete