linklinklinklink Instagram

Saturday, July 21, 2012

Today is Monday....well, almost!

I LOVE Eric Carle!  

His illustrations are so unique and entertaining to look at over and over again!
One of my favorite books to use at the beginning of the year is...

"Today is Monday"

If you're not familiar with it, you can take a peek through this youtube presentation...
(not mine, but cool)...

I actually have the big book that Scholastic put out years and years ago!...but I went onto Amazon and purchased one of the used paperback copies and then ended up having to go to a local office store to have it spiral bound as the kids loved the book so much they "killed" the binding :)

www.kizclub.com has a wonderful colored set of manipulatives to use when the kids are retelling the story.  They can match the food with the day...put the food in order with the days...or just manipulate the pieces as they reread or retell the story using a magnetic board.  You could probably print the pieces off and use velcro on the back if you have a felt board too.

Here's a link to a card game I created to go with the story of 'Today is Monday'

The idea is the kids are supposed to look for...ask for... the card that 
would take the place of the question mark.  
You can play like 'Go Fish' or use as a concentration game format with the multiple day cards on one side and the singe day cards on the other side. 

I LOVE to pair this story with the song from Mar Harmon from "The Wide Mouth Bullfrog" cd!
I bought the cd in Las Vegas at the "I Teach K" conference, but you can get it from Amazon...


I use most of the song from the cd, however, you can also do a digital download from Amazon for just the song of  'Today is Monday' through this link...





Here's a link for some interesting ideas to use with the book from other teachers...

You might also like to check out the many resources on the
Math Games for First Grade Wiki...
This link will take you to the literacy page with tons of resources for different books that involve math concepts that my team and I have collected over the years.

Kindergarten Works is has a great post on her Retelling Station Ideas...
Hop over to her post and check out all the links to different stories and the props that can be used to help the kids get a great experience!







Enjoy your weekend!....
Monday will come soon enough....and ...
this particular Monday starts my last week of summer break...good grief!  Where'd the time go?

Oh...yeah...spent it running across America with my hubby!
They're in Iowa now...hop over to his site to check out the progress!
He'll end the race on August 17th in Delaware, so you've got plenty of time to see his progress!


4 comments:

  1. Great post! Thanks for sharing. BOO for last week of summer break. It's my last week too.


    ✣ Miss Nelson✣
    Miss Nelson’s Blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Eric Carle! Thanks for these cards. :) I can't believe the summer is already coming to an end. Where does the time go?
    Lisa
    Learning Is Something to Treasure

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Eric Carle and I love that book. Oh my, can't believe it's your last week before school. I just counted yesterday on my home calendar and I have just a little over 30. Enjoy your time!!
    Robynn
    BusyBees

    ReplyDelete
  4. This book is a favorite of mine too - thanks for sharing! (The A.C. Moore store I was in yesterday had several Eric Carle bulletin board borders- hard not to buy them, but I barely had room in my luggage for all the other goodies I had bought while out-of-state.)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...