linklinklinklink Instagram

Wednesday, July 4, 2012

How Do You Do Comprehension Strategies?

I'm reading through Tanny McGregor's "Comprehension Connections: Bridges to Strategic Reading" and really enjoying how she uses concrete ideas to connect reading strategies to the kids brains!

When I first started reading the book, I thought...uh-oh...this isn't so great for firsties...but the more I read the more I see how it's so very important to get the kids "thinking about their reading" at the very beginning of the reading experience so that they become lifelong "thinking readers"!

Her first chapter revolves around "Metacognition" which in all honesty was something I didn't even know I was doing until I read more about it ... duh!
I love how she talks about creating a reading salad with the kids to show them more about how to read and think about what they are reading.

One of her ideas is to read a book outloud and as you're reading put in a "slice of tomato" in a large reading salad bowl for the text and a "piece of lettuce" for the thinking.

Salad is great...don't get me wrong, I love my veggies...but I was trying to think of something to use with my firsties that might be even more concrete than making a reading salad...something they could make and then consume would really do the trick...so....I'm searching for some ideas to use.

My first thought was something to do with making something to drink...perhaps lemonade? Use a container for lemonade and have the water inside....then add a squirt of lemon for text and a sprinkle of sugar for thinking...then when it's all mixed together they could drink a little of the real reading juice to help them remember to think about their thinking as they read...

Anybody have another idea that might be more fitting? I'd really like the whole lesson to culminate by them partaking of whatever we've created as we're reading and thinking about our reading aloud...

Would love to hear your ideas!

Thanks!
Heidi

P.S.
Happy Fourth of July from the Runners and Crew of
Run Across America on Trail...
running through Hot Springs, Wy right now...well...walking through as hamstring issues have left my husband in a tight spot today.
Follow our adventures on Facebook:
Run Across America on Trail
or at his blog:
runacrossamericaontrail.blogspot.com

8 comments:

  1. I just bought that book as well and it is supposed to be sent to me tomorrow. I haven't read it yet, but I know all about her idea. I like the drink idea...but tonight I am drawing a blank lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just started this book, and I'm loving it so far. I think that concrete representation of an abstract idea is so perfect. It's something I need to do much more of.
    ❀ Tammy
    Forever in First

    ReplyDelete
  3. What about milk and ice cream for a milkshake.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the "Reading Juice" idea. I was thinking the pitcher of water could be the book, a squirt of lemon (I'll add powder and a tiny squirt of lemon) that will be the actual text. Words are good to have in a book but sometimes hard to digest if we don't "THINK" about it as we read, that(thinking) will be the sugar to make it all sweet(just a sprinkle since the sugar is mixed in the powder stuff already). Cute kick off to literature and the LOVE of reading to instill in these first graders.
    Thanks for the spring board!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello! I am your newest follower. Please come and visit my blog. I would love for you to follow mine and share ideas.
    Thanks,
    Mrs. Janelle

    http://mrsjanelleskindergarten.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Heidi! What about ice cream and sauce as the text, sprinkles for thinking? Or a more healthy option, celery, peanut butter (sunbutter) for text and raisin for thinking? I love that you are sharing your summer reading! I read Number Talks- fabulous!
    Hope all is well!
    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm a new follower!! Just found your blog YAY!!!! I hope you'll check out my blog sometime:)

    Tammy
    1...2...3...Teach With Me

    ReplyDelete
  8. We just found your blog and we are so excited. We can't wait to poke around! We are your newest followers, please check us out if you get some time. :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...