linklinklinklink Instagram

Saturday, March 17, 2012

Pig's Egg Word Work Literacy Unit

*Find the Worm HFW game        *ABC Order with HFW
*Making Words with Pig       *Sentence Scramble
*Art project templates to create Pig and the Turnip
*Writing project ideas for two stories
*Graphic organizers        *Writing Paper

Spring Break was a wonderful time to get creative!  
And when you're spending time with the person who gifted you
with the creativity ... it can go wild!
My mom and I worked together for the activities available in this 
word working literacy unit based on the story of


It all started with the words...
"Hey Mom,  take a look at this pig...I'd like to have the kids create this pig for a writing project..."  and mom took it from there!  
She created the pig patterns along with a turnip you can have the kids craft.  The idea behind the writing is to get the kids to think of something else that might have "hatched" from Pig's Egg!
I went a little crazy with some of the word working ideas that you can use while working with this story!  But it was too much fun!

Although the literacy unit is for sale at my TpT and TN shops...
I've created this sequencing page to give away for Free :)


After reading "Pig's Egg", students put the story in sequence by cutting and gluing the pieces to a sheet of construction paper
....they could also illustrate their favorite part of the story on the other side of the paper
...create a flipbook with the sentences and illustrate each one
... use the sentences at a station to put them into proper order instead of copying for each child
.....attach a clear velcro dot to the pages in the book that match each statement
....have the students match the sentence to the picture by attaching it to the velcro dot

... any other ideas?


I had Mom help me create the youtube movie for the story so I can upload it to my iPads and iPods for the kids to listen to during the Listening Station ... It's also an AR book .... bonus!


You'll need to get your own copy for the words and just because it's the cutest little book I've seen in a long time...Amazon has it available from different vendors...

NOTE:  Amazon has two books by the name of Pig's Egg...
This unit is based on Katherine Sully's book...

Hope you enjoy our joined efforts to bring you this adorable unit to go with an adorable story by Katherine Sully!  I had a ton of fun working with Mom.  She celebrated her 72nd birthday while I was visiting...and she just keeps getting better and better with age! 


In honor of her birthday, I'm giving away a free copy of the literacy unit she helped design.  Leave a comment with your email address so I can send you the packet if you win!  I'll choose the random winner on Monday as a little "perk me up" for the beginning of the fourth quarter and the end of Spring Break !


Happy Birthday, Mamaw!
Thanks for all you do for me and the kids!
Can't wait for them to see this one!

Enjoy Friends,

16 comments:

  1. Glad to see your Mom had a great birthday!!

    The literacy unit looks great!

    crhdouglas@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. So very fun that you were able to create this with your Mom! :)

    I'll be hopping over to Amazon to order the book. I LOVE pigs and this looks beyond adorable!

    I'm jealous that you've had spring break already - ours isn't for 2 more weeks!! Sigh.

    Thanks for the opportunity to win. Have a great (rest of the) weekend!

    chubbydog(at)comcast(dot)net

    Oh My Little Classity Class

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the opportunity.

    yvonneeyrg@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. This unit looks really fun. I enjoyed watching the recording of the book. Is it easy to do that?

    richarvj@lcps.k12.va.us

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not exceptionally diificult, but it does take some time ;). I use iPhoto, GarageBand, and iMovie to put the project together;)

      Delete
  5. This unit looks like a lot of fun. I enjoyed watching the recording of the book. I need to figure out how to do that.

    richarvj@lcps.k12.va.us

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cute, cute, cute! Happy birthday to your mom!

    Melissa

    Leotarocks@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an adorable unit! But not as cute as your mom! Happy Birthday to her!

    Kideducator@comcast.net

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great post! We would love to win:)
    themoffattgirls@ g mail (dot) com

    ReplyDelete
  9. So glad you got to help your mom celebrate her birthday. You know how much I love the units and books you create. I love sharing them on the SmartBoard to the class.

    LizF38@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. The literacy unit looks awesome.

    I have not heard of this book... going to have to check it out.

    First Grade Delight
    imgoingfirst@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. My students would love these activities!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is adorable, I can't wait to check out this book. Happy Birthday to your mom. I think it's so wonderful that you two worked together on this. How fun.
    I'm your newest follower... thought I was already following...but Goggle told me differently. :D
    ❤Traci❤
    Dragonflies in First

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a cute book . . . and the unit looks amazing!
    kim.kneece@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a great post!
    Happy Birthday to your Mom!
    And thank you for the giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I just love this book and our skill this week is sequencing so I am definitely using the freebie activity!THANKS!
    Hope I win the unit!!
    The picture of you and your mom is very sweet! What a great relationship you have with your mom!
    tjulch@mpsomaha.org

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...