Sunday, January 8, 2012

Numerical Order with a Twist


I need my kiddos to work on counting on from any number to 120....and ordering a set of numbers.
My plan during station time in Math this week is to have the kids take a group of numbers and put them in numerical order...counting by 1s, 2s, 5s, or 10s.

After they've got them in the correct order, they'll record what they see...
How many even numbers?
How many odd numbers?
How many numbers are on a red apple, orange apple, yellow apple?
How many numerals are written in yellow?  red?
How many apples do you have in all?
What is the greatest number?  least?


Then comes the twist...on the back of each apple are some of the first 100 Fry's Phrases.
Students will turn over the apples and begin reading the phrases.  
They can sort the phrases into know it without help and needed help to read.
You could have them sort them into phrases with more than 3 words and phrases with 3 words or less.
You could also sort into phrases that are complete sentences and phrases that are not complete sentences.


You could use any set of cards you have with numbers already on them, I just happened to have this set from a pack I bought at the beginning of the year.
You could even write the numbers on index cards and the phrases on the back.

I'll store the different groups in Altoid tins so that they are leveled...SI, OL, and ADV.

Hope it goes well....I just thought if I could integrate reading into the math stations, I might do some extra double duty for my friends that need some extra practice :)

Enjoy,
Heidi

5 comments:

  1. I love it! It is really cute and colorful. I also am always trying to think of creative ways to teach. My recent blog posts include 3D worksheets and water bottle learning centers.
    Dawn
    http://www.literacymathideas.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is great, Heidi!!!! Thanks for the idea!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea! Thanks for sharing :)

    Lisa
    http://stories114.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover