linklinklinklink Instagram

Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Number Crunching Monsters




Check out our Number Munching Monsters
I needed a visual to get the kids to see greater than and less than before using only the sign.
Sooo....
We created these number crunching monsters and had fun manipulating chips to show numbers that the monster might eat.  Then we "read the sentence"....



One is less than four.


Five is greater than two.

I tried to get the kids to create the number dot patterns that we've been talking about during Topic One from Envisions.  Easier said than created for some  :)  But we had fun with our monsters!  We'll use the same technique tomorrow, however, we'll replace our chips with large plastic numbers so we can see the numbers taking the place of the dots.

Here's the sheet with the words if you'd like to download.

Enjoy,
Heidi

11 comments:

  1. My lessons for both first and second grades tomorrow are greater than/less than!! You are a lifesaver, I think Math will go really well thanks to this cute idea! :)

    Marvelous Multiagers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting that Envisions does greater than and less than for topic 1...I'm guessing it just goes with your state standards. Our topic 1 is addition 1-9. Love the number crunchers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jess....didn't mean to be confusing. Our topic 1 is about number concepts and recognizing number patters, counting numbers in a set, and seeing the patterns to recognize a number. Our topic two is comparing numbers. I was just using the patterns of the numbers to get them to compare the numbers. We don't get into addition and subtraction until topic 3 and 4.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Super cute! I just posted my free printable Creature Crunchers for Word Study. Please go check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so excited to hear that you use Envision- so do I! We were using the MA version, but bought the Common Core version for this year. What a great activity! Thanks for sharing!
    Jennifer from
    http://www.myfirstgradeadventures.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry, I didn't know the last person to use this computer didn't sign out. Anyway, Heidi, I'm glad you're using Envision. I'd love to pick your brain sometime!
    Jennifer from
    http://www.myfirstgradeadventures.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amazing idea...as usual! I know you love creative center ideas. Check out my litter box learning idea I came up with for word work. I would love some comments and followers!

    mrsjamesfirstgrade.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for sharing wonderful content! I put you on my TOP TEN LIST

    Go to Teaching Blog Addict and grab your button!

    ReplyDelete
  9. These number crunchers are the cutest thing ever! How fun for kids!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oooo.... this is SOOOO much better than the alligators! I LOVE the monsters! Great idea!

    http://www.newliferookie.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. Why haven't I found your blog before today???? Really love your ideas. Thank you so much for sharing this! I will be using it on Monday with my kiddos!

    Katie
    ReadingResource.net
    TwoCanDoIt.Blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

linklinklinklink Instagram

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...