linklinklinklink Instagram

Monday, June 6, 2011

Math Workstation Ch. 3 Part 2

     

I started using the "I Can" charts after hearing Debbie speak at the beginning of 2011....I can't tell you the difference it made to have the KIDS come up with what they could do at the stations!  They had great ideas and some would even offer to draw the picture for the chart.  I just had them do it on computer paper then, but I think I'll try using one of the pages above this year.  I think if I number the charts, they'll go better with the stations that the I Can chart goes with...but then again...maybe that's just my OCD coming out :)

Download the pdf files for the plan chart  {HERE}

Download the pdf files for the frog chart  {HERE}


I also used Debbie's idea for Math Talk cards and Loved it...
I didn't do a great job of having the kids come up with the vocabulary, but that's 
in the plans for this year.

I used an index card and drew a speech bubble, but thought these cute bubbles
might work too...I plan to have them run off on cardstock...maybe even different colors???
Then when it's time to make up some Math Talk cards...we can just pull one out and start 
writing what should be said.  I made them in different sizes cause I think some
concepts have more words than others.

Download a copy of the pdf file  {HERE}


Problem Solving Board....

I've been collecting frogs for a long time....and one year a family gave me a frog shaped bulletin board....never knew what to do with the thing until now!

On page 50, Debbie talks about "How to solve a problem"...one of the things is to let the kids have the ability to write a note about what the problem is/was....SOOOOO..... I think I'll have some scrap paper and a pen or pencil sitting next to the frog bulletin board...the kids can write out their woes and tack it to the Frog Board...I'll have to come up with a catchy phrase...(anyone have something cool to suggest?)...I used to have a fish shaped cup and it said tell it to Barney Bass...  maybe Fonzy the Frog says...Ehhh...What's Up?....hmmm... must be late...

I also use another one of Donna Whyte's suggestions at my small group table...it's a stop light with a clothes pin to tell the kids where I am and if I can be disturbed.  You can find it on her sight under "Work Smarter, Not Harder"....signals.

The idea is that the kids look to see where my clothespin is before interrupting me or approaching the desk....green..you're good to go....yellow...find my yellow feet on the floor and stand there until I can get to your question....red...do not disturb :)

Hope you have a wonderful day!
Heidi

Be sure to check out the links from Mrs. Parker....


8 comments:

  1. Thanks for joining in the discussion. I love the Donna Whyte's signal lights. I've seen her speak several years ago but do not remember this.

    This would be fantastic to help with interruptions. Thanks for sharing your ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Could you call your problem solving board the "Figure it out Frog" or the "Fix it Frog"?
    F is For First Grade

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like some promising titles!
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the frog sheet the best of course!


    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh.. My... Gosh! Love your math talk and I Can templates. This solves it for me... Cute AND co-created! Brilliant!

    Thank you!
    Mrs. Wills Kindergarten

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the math talk sheets and the I Can signs. Thanks for sharing! P.S. Deedee sent me. :)
    Kimberly
    Funky First Grade Fun

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the traffic light idea! I can't wait to use that idea next year! Thank you so much for sharing

    Michelle
    http://petersonsprimarypeeps.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...