linklinklinklink Instagram

Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Math Stations Ch. 3 Part 3

        

Still trying to wrap my head around how to plan out for the different lessons...I think one of these formats will come in handy.
If you're in SCS in TN, I've added the Power Standards (even though they're still in developmental stage)....I've also added the Common Core Standards to help in planning.  Seems like if I have the documents ready and easy to find, I'm less frustrated.  With the two forms already on the planning document, I hope it will make it easier to copy and paste to the lessons...

You can download the different formats here:   Format 1          Format 2

On Page 58....I was also reading about where to have the kids put their work...I use a box system...we call it the "Purple Box"...because it's purple...each box is labeled with a number and the kids know to put completed work in their purple box...that way when I collect the papers, they're in numerical (which is ultimately alphabetical) order.  If a child's absent, I'm not looking all over for their papers...they're in the purple box and I can grade them quickly.

That being said...I don't know that I "loved" collecting the papers from the stations in the purple box...not everyone finished each station every day....so maybe Debbie's suggestion of a folder or a basket at the station would work...I'm still thinking on this one.


Also on page 58...I'm right there with Debbie when she says that not ALL stations need to have paper and pencil work to turn in...I love her idea for a community math journal...would take some time to get them to remember to sign in on the next page...but it's a thought... I used a community journal for my "Chunkey Monkey" station where they searched the room and chunked out words...so it can be done :)  Have to think some more on this one!
This cover for the community journal for the "Chunkey Monkey" Staiton is NOT mine...it was shared by Carol Stafford at a SCS Workshop about 3 years ago...She's an amazing SCS Teacher of the Year!
Download the cover from Carol  {HERE}


On 58-59 she goes into the misbehavior topic...this one was an eye opener for me...I was using the three strikes you're out school of though...but after hearing Debbie speak, I changed to the one strike you sit with me...WOW...what a difference!  Will definitely be doing this one again next year!...
Also liked the write how you would change your behavior concept too :)

WOW...this chapter is packed full...I'm off to digest some of the management board...more on that later!

Don't forget to check with Mrs. Parker's blog for all the other links to this chapter!



Enjoy,
Heidi

10 comments:

  1. Heidi..you r-ock! Imagine me doing that in a sing songy voice...:)
    Thanks for sharing your hard work!
    Ms. A

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very fun ideas! I love it.
    Thanks so much.
    pattiesclassroom.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heidi,
    I just love how your brain works.
    the planning sheets should keep me more focused and I put those in my MWS binder. Thanks, friend
    Fran@kindergartencrayons.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want to know more about this "one strike, you sit with me". Is it just for use during stations? I feel like I'd have the whole class sitting with me, but I'm always looking for a better behavior management technique!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the planning piece. Your posts have been so valuable. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Mrs. P...I use the one strike during center time...they have to come sit by the small group table and they can watch...sometimes I'll let them join in and after the group and station time is over, we have a one on one chat about why they had to come to the table and leave their partner to continue alone.
    It worked really well for most...but you always have that one or two that you have to be flexible with...:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree that not every station needs a piece to be turned in, now I have "expert" proof. Page 58 will definately get tabbed!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think I'll try that during station time. Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Heidi!! I know you're not to chapter 5 yet, but I made these and I thought you might find them helpful. I love this book so much. http://afirstgradefairytale.blogspot.com/2011/06/debbie-diller-is-amazing.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. These are fabulous! Thanks so much for sharing!
    Can't wait to continue to read and learn more!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...