linklinklinklink Instagram

Sunday, April 3, 2011

Ten Flashing Fireflies


Ten Flashing Fireflies by Philemon Sturges is a great resource for math activities!  I snagged an empty pickle jar (plastic of course) from the band's concession stand before they threw it away.  I'm adding fireflies with number problems inside.  

 

Students will pull out the firefly cards and solve the problem.  
I haven't created a worksheet to go with it as my kiddos like using the whiteboards too much right now.  They record the number sentences on their boards and when station time is over, they earn point for their class team for the problems they solve.


You could also add fireflies and have kids pull two numbers out to add or subtract...create task cards and have kids pull out fireflies to put into categories...flies that equal 9, 8, etc...

You could even put literacy skills on the firefly cards and have them sort words.


Enjoy,
Heidi




8 comments:

  1. I just got this book last week and I am excited to share it with my students. Thanks for the fact cards!

    www.teachinginthecouv.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super cute! I have this book too. I think I know what I'll be making this week- and I've got the perfect plastic mayonaise jar=)Thanks!
    F is For First Grade

    ReplyDelete
  3. I grew up catching fireflies. I loved doing this on hot summer nights and letting them go. I love the connection to a piece of literature. I have to get this book.
    Fran@kindergartencrayons.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome! Love the activity and will have to make a trip to B&N to pick up the book-too cute!! Talk about connections, this would be a perfect book for that as well. I have a question: where did you find the font that you used on the jar title? I want a dotted font and don't know where to begin to look for it because I am not sure what it's called.
    Thanks for always sharing such wonderful ideas!

    Lora

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you find it useful!
    The font is Vingy Normal...but if you go to some of the font sites on the side bar of the blog, you can find other dotted alphabets.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is such a great activity! I only just discovered your blog in the last few weeks. Thank you for sharing so many wonderfully creative ideas! I can't wait to use this tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have to get this book when we do our insect unit! Thank you for sharing your great resources!

    Lori
    Little Priorities

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the fireflies - thanks for sharing! I can't wait to use it. We read Fireflies For Nathan as part of our reading program. Your activity will fit perfectly! Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...