Sunday, April 3, 2011

Fluency for Units 4 and 5 in Reading Street


If you haven't had the opportunity to visit SSKindergarten, you are missing some great resources for both K and First!  She has an amazing blog post on fluency that I've "tweaked" for the Reading Street program. I've used it for the last two weeks and it's been really good for my OL group.  My SI group just started last week and has shown moderate success.  It all depends upon how much the parents help them at home too.  


It incorporates high frequency words and phonetic skills we're working on in each story, so I don't know how it would work for someone not using Reading Street....however, you may be able to adapt it to use with your program????
Thanks to Sherry at SSKindergarten for letting me share with you!

Enjoy,
Heidi

2 comments:

  1. This is a good idea. We have been doing something similar only we use the summary from the ESL book that came with Reading streets. We number the words on the right side of the paper. Parents time their children and record the time on the sheet. They return the sheet to me on Friday. Every child that returns the sheet gets a pencil after they have read it to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a teacher from my school district that is no longer teaching kindergarten. She has amazing skills. I work in a district with a lot of talent!
    Fran@kindergartencrayons.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete