linklinklinklink Instagram

Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Snakes and Ladders with Math Facts



I saw this game at the Dollar Tree and had to buy it....just wasn't sure what I was going to do with it...That is until Debbie Diller's new Math Stations book came in the mail!  Whoo Hoo! 
 I opened this fabulous book and there was an idea to use with this game...it was Devine Intervention of the best kind!  All I had to do was create some quick math fact cards to go with the gameboard.  We're working on addition facts to 18 this week, so I quickly made some of those using index cards this morning.  The idea is the kids have to solve the math fact first.  They use the sum of the two numbers to tell them how many spaces to move.  


We played it in small group rotations today during math stations and they loved it.  I kept the cards very simple for the first group using related addition facts to try to get them to quickly recall the facts.  I could tell the ones that have really been using XTRA Math as they were recalling the facts much faster without using their fingers!  That made me excited!!  We also had to do a lot of counting out the number of squares as I still have children that are not counting with one to one correspondence for game boards...funny little things!

If you haven't had a chance to check out Debbie Diller's new book...it's available on amazon now!


Enjoy,


7 comments:

  1. I did this same idea with Chute and Ladders! I made up cards using addition and words like count up by ___, Count back by ____, to give them practice with the vocabulary too! They LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so excited that her book is finally available from Amazon! I think a copy of it will be making its way to my door soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes I got this idea from Debbie Diller too!! Definitely going to have to laminate the game though.. I got mine from the dollar store too :)

    www.msdurning.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the vocabulary word ideas!!! Thanks !!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't believe you posted this...I was working on my version today!! I had this idea when Candy Land sight words came around because I have an extra Chutes and Ladders game. Since I have this week off I finally had the time to do it. Thanks for posting that the book is available on Amazon now. I'll put it on my reading list!
    Jenn
    http://finallyinfirst.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can't wait to see your version Jenn! I'm sure it will be fabulous, just like all your other great things!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wanted to say a BIG thank you for sharing Xtra Math. I set my students up the day I read your post and they have been doing it this week. LOVE IT!!! Thanks so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...