linklinklinklink Instagram

Saturday, February 12, 2011

President's Day Research Projects

With President's Day right around the corner, we'll spend some time next week researching, writing, and drawing about our two favorite presidents:  Abraham Lincoln and George Washington.  I've got a couple of books that I love to read to the kids.  We web what we learn as we go and then use the webs to help us put together this venn diagram.


 


One of my favorite ways to help the kids write about what they know is using the Thinking Map called a Tree Map.  I'll use pictures and charts to make a large thinking map for each president so that we can write a paragraph about what we know from our research on each president.  I'll give them the hook at the beginning for the paragraph as well as the closer sentence.  Their job will be to fill in the three details for the body of the paragraph.


   


             

After we write what we know, we'll do some directed drawing to pull the projects all together.  As we draw we'll review and revisit all the things we learned about each president.


I found the Discovery Readers series while traveling in D.C. this winter.  You can check them out on Amazon.com. 


enjoy,


17 comments:

  1. These are great! I have a question, I am new to blogging and I am trying to upload documents to google docs and then post them to my blog. It isn't working very well, do you have any tips?

    Janine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Be sure when you are uploading them into your google docs that you are making them public. When I first starting uploading docs, I kept them private and couldn't get them to share either. I also created a folder to put the docs inside of google docs. If you'd like to email me, I'd be happy to see if I could help more.
    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would love to link this to my page....is that ok? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ms. Morgart....that would be fabulous!!!

    Pink....I've added a page to this blog that tells a little more how I upload and add docs to the blog. You should be able to click on the words "Google Docs" at the top of the post and see the page. Hope it makes sesnse!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your president ideas! I look forward to doing something newand trying them out. THANKS!

    Kathy
    firstgradealacarte.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great job! Thanks for sharing, Heidi.
    Jenn
    http://finallyinfirst.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love all of your work. Thanks for sharing!
    http://saylorslog.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love love love these ideas! We have Open House on the 24th and I have been looking for something amazing to add to my Abeka curriculum for President's Day...I can finally breathe! Thank you so much...I've just discovered all these 1st grade blogs and am loving them! I wish there was a first grade Abeka blog! God bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad you can find some fun and useful things :)
    Have a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  10. did you come up with the directed draw patterns of lincoln/washington? Or, where did you get them from?

    ReplyDelete
  11. No, I did not come up with any directed draw directions. Bronchitis and sinusitis have taken over. Sorry. I just draw them as I talk about the person. They draw with me as I use the flexcam. Sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  12. These are really great ideas. Thanks, Karen

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you so much for sharing your great ideas. My class loved the president drawings and thinking maps!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank You For Sharing

    I’m working with your researchers, and sharing my experiences as well as some resources and ideas with other teachers.

    Is the “Was Had Wanted” form of a tree map original to you, or does it come from somewhere else? When mentioning it to others, I want to give proper credit.

    Thanks again,
    Mark
    Mark Bohland, M.Ed., M.Photog.
    mbohland@mt-vernon.k12.oh.us

    ReplyDelete
  15. I created the tree maps on this post to use with my kids, however, the tree map idea is not mine. I'm sure it was developed by some wonderful professor of academia :) I just "tweaked" it to fit my needs. The graphics are from random sites I found on the internet. Hope this helps answer your question. Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  16. These are great ideas. I especially like the successive drawing breakdown.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover