linklinklinklink Instagram

Saturday, January 8, 2011

RAN: Rapid Automatic Naming Boards


Heidi Butkus, creator of HeidiSongs, has terrific ideas and has just updated her blog with some wonderful new ideas for sight word games and instructions.  She talks about the RAN: Rapid Automatic Naming Boards on her latest post.  

We've been using something similar in our grade level, but have called them "Speed Drills".  Each board is created from the High Frequency Words for the story we are using during the week.  Since we follow the Reading Street series from Scott Foresman, we have 5 units with 6 stories per unit.  I've created a board for all of unit one stories as well as for unit two.  I've combined unit three words into two boards instead of just one board per story.  I'm going to see how it goes.  

To use the board, I use the timer on my iPod Touch and the kids take turns timing during small group time or tier II time.  I'll record their time at the top of their paper with the date and then they take them home to see if they can improve their time over the week.  On Friday, I'll retime them on the same board to see how much faster they can read the words.  

I keep a record in my formative assessment notes to see how well they can do...we also practice the words throughout the week at the various reading centers and word work games.  

I'm happy to know more about RAN boards....Heidi talks a little about how she creates individual boards for children which is something I may explore more for my friends that are struggling to get these words down.  They seem to like the boards more than flash cards right now.  

Please feel free to manipulate the files to suit your own reading series wording.  Heidi also has a link on her blog to a web page where you can create RAN boards.




Enjoy,
Heidi

9 comments:

  1. Heidi--
    My school uses DIEBELS to test my students. Do you have anything for Nonsense Word Fluency???
    Thanks,
    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  2. We use iStation as our Reading Intervention program. To help with nonsense word fluency, I write nonsense words on cards (index cards or others) making 6-7 copies of each nonsense word. I put the cards out on the table in the middle of my small group. Then I sound out/say a nonsense word...something like "Can you find the word /h/ /i/ /z/...the kids pick up the word card that matches the sounds. They can pick up as many as they can find. When all the cards are gone, we count the cards we've collected. To keep the cards they have to say the nonsense words again.

    I don't know if the FCCR has any games, but it's a good resource site:
    http://www.fcrr.org/curriculum/studentCenterActivities.shtm

    Hope this helps a little,
    Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Heidi,
    I just wanted to thank you one more time for ALL you make, share and offer to teachers for FREE! More and more teachers on blogs are selling their creations on Teachers Pay Teachers. I understand they want and deserve reimbursement. However, we are just teachers and do not have the funds (since I pay out of my own pocket for everything) to purchase all that we would like. The prices are often even a little steep just for one game! It is just a little disheartening that what seems to have started as a wonderful sharing thing for teachers is turning so commercial and into money making ventures. Just my opinon. THANK YOU Heidi for sharing for FREE!!!!! I greatly appreciate your doing this!
    Hugs,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never heard of this and honestly missed in Heidisongs blog post last week. Thank you for pointing this out and bringing it to our attention because this is a great idea! I can't wait to start working on this with my class next week when we get back to a normal schedule!

    Danielle
    learningandlaughing.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad to make note of it...I've actually found it to be very helpful to many of my students!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Heidi,
    Do you have these made for Unit 4 of Reading Street? I could probably put them together, but wasn't sure if there was a method to it. And...I figured if someone else had them made and would share, I'd find out first!!

    Thanks for all of your great stuff! My teammate and I love checking your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We took a break from these for awhile and are using the powertower cups to practice our words in unit four, so I haven't created any yet....I'm one of those teachers that needs a break and a change for things...sorry.
    Do you need them now? I think I have them in the doc format that I could send you and then all you'd have to do would be to add the words? Just let me know :)
    Sorry!
    And thanks for the kind words :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I understand...variety is the spice of life! I just started using these and my kids have responded well to them! Would you mind sending me the document? I have a work day Monday and could make them up then! Thanks!

    Jessica
    jljenkins@mpsomaha.org

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...