Saturday, January 1, 2011

Mailbox Magazine Game Idea Dec./Jan. 2009-10






Forgot all about this game that I submitted to the Mailbox Magazine...hmmm...does that mean I'm a published author???  Just kidding.
My kids do like to do foldables and this was a game that lent itself nicely to them folding the paper and creating their boards.  No printing or copying on my part and quick and easy set up.
I have the kids use Xs and Os some years...or just different colored crayons and everybody uses an X.
I have some kids use 2 regular 6-sided die...others use 1 regular 6-sided die with the pips and the other die is a numeral die (1,2,3,4,5,6 instead of the dots)...for the really good ones...I let them use double die.  You could also have them use only one die and have them double the number to practice doubles or double +1...you'd just have to have them number their papers a little differently.


I'm trying to turn off my brain...but it's not working yet.  I had a friend come over today who teaches third grade and we were redesigning some of my games to include multiplication and array practice.  If you'd like a copy of the ideas we came up with, email or leave a comment.  I can send them to you or post here.


Enjoy your evening!
Heidi


7 comments:

  1. Yes that sertainly does mean that you are published!!! Way to go!

    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  2. I played that game last year with my class. They loved it! Thanks for reminding me of it too! You are very clever! Thanks fo rsharing with those of us who are not so clever!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations! What great fun to be in a magazine. :)

    Ms. M
    www.msk1ell.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Heidi!
    I just love your blog. I'm a former special ed. teacher and now homeschooler and your ideas are terrific for my 1st grader. I'd love to see your adaptations for multiplication that you mentioned b/c I have a 3rd grader too. :)
    Thanks for sharing your wonderful ideas and hard work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks!
    She had a really easy way of adapting the egg carton shake and add to a multiplication array game.
    I'll type it out and post it on a new post.
    She also had a good idea for changing the PIG game from addition to multiplication...I'll add that one too.
    Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was able to update the games for multiplication on the posts...
    Pig Multiplication is http://swampfrogfirstgraders.blogspot.com/2010/11/pig-card-game.html

    Roll and Choose should be right above...and I updated the Hopscotch game for a multiplication version too. Just do a search for Hopscotch and the doc is there.

    My friend is working on the wording for the game she designed with the egg carton and will send along shortly with a revision to the Zapped sticks too.l
    Hope this helps!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey, I saw your game for pinterest. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete