Sunday, January 16, 2011

If I Were President

I took this darling book I found while visiting the Lincoln Memorial in D.C. and created a social studies paragraph fill in and writing prompt to use during President's Day this year.  I love the simple text and pictures of the book, yet I know I can develop the ideas behind the text to help the kids see more about what it takes to be president!  You can check out the book at Amazon if you like.  I love buying things from their used book stores for a penny...(course you have to pay 3.99 for shipping and handling), but I've never not had a good copy show up :0)

I can't decide if I'll have the kids write in the words for the blanks or try to cut and paste them in for the paragraph story about being a president.  I'm always trying to find creative ways to integrate social studies into the reading program.  I thought this might be a good non-fiction paragraph to help the kids use what they learn and know to find the answers.  I have a word bank included with the download.  I'll probably add the word bank to a large chart so as they're working on the sheet, they'll have something to refer to...I'll also probably have them working with a partner or in small groups to complete the paragraph.  Although I have quite a few students who would be able to do this on their own, it's always more fun when you get to work with a partner to share the load.

After they finish with the book and the paragraph, I'll have them complete the writing portion of the project where they'll tell what they would do if they became president.  Not sure if I'll use the sheet included in the download though...I like having them use their handwriting paper...I can take a handwriting grade from their efforts :0)  I also like using the 9X12 sheets for drawing pictures.  


Enjoy,
Heidi

4 comments:

  1. I so need that book- I so look like the girl in the drawing lol

    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks like a great book! I ordered it and can't wait to get it! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're welcome...hope you enjoy it as much as I am..

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this! Thank you for sharing. This will be a great learning activity.

    ReplyDelete