Sunday, January 9, 2011

Find the Lily Pad Frog Word Game


I LOVE Heidi Butkus and her wonderfully fun ideas to work with small groups and get them into the word development!  Her newest blog has a game with a snowman where you say the word while you search for the snowman's hat.
I adapted the game to go with frogs (what else?) and added 8 lily pads.  My plan is to put the cards out in a pocket chart or table pocket chart and hide the 8 lily pads behind the different words.  As the kids read the words, they can check behind the frogs to see if there's a hidden lily pad.  The winner will be the person that has the most lily pads at the end of the game.
Here's the rhyme we might say to start the game:
"Swamp Frog, Swamp Frog.  Don't be mad.  I'll help you find your lily pad!"

I used the words for Reading Street's Unit 3 Story 3 "Jan's New Home" from the Scott Foresman story.

This is the download for the first day's word work with adding -es to words.  Click Here

This is the download for the second day's word work with or and ore words.  Click Here

Need to change the words and make it your own?  Click here for the Word Document file.

Enjoy,
Heidi

8 comments:

  1. I LOVE ALL your ideas Heidi! The frog game and chant are just adorable!!!!!
    Smiles,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks...I think the kids will adore it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness! Heidi, you even shared a blank template so I can use my own words! THANK YOU!!!!!
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for sharing. I really appreciate your post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're welcome. I'm trying to come up with a good storage idea for the cards...I'm spying some old baseball card (those 9 pocket things) protector pages...hmmm...could I put the cards in there instead of a pocket chart? Place the lily pads behind? Have to check this thought out more.
    Enjoy the day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I played this game yesterday and my kids LOVED it! We played it on our promethean board though! They thought it was great! Thanks for the awesome idea!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cool idea! We used the baseball trading card sheets and they were loving it! I'm glad it worked out for you!

    ReplyDelete