Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Connect-A-Word


Print out and laminate the boards for this game adapted from a Scholastic Game.  You could use on the overhead, however, I laminated the boards and use the wiki sticks (some people call them bendies).  

Kids work as a team or individually to create as many words as they can with the letters that touch each other.  You can't skip across the board and build just any old word.  Three letter words earn 1 point.

Four letter words earn two points and so on... I like to use this with my Advanced group at the beginning of the group while we're settling into the rotation.  They work as partners with their own board to build and record the words on their boards.  Each pair has their own board and each board is different so there's no "cheating" off the other team.


Words can be created forward, backward, in a loop...just so long as all the letters touch the letter that comes before it... and there's no skipping over unused letters to create a word.



Enjoy,
Heidi

9 comments:

  1. Thanks these are great.

    Ms. M
    www.msk1ell.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. love a new way to use wiki sticks!
    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ashley's blog name has been changed. You can find the new blog at

    http://TeachingHappilyEverAfter.blogspot.com

    Hop on over...it's worth a look.
    Thanks for sharing Ashley!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent blog! I have been recently introduced to the wonders of teacher blogging and I am blown away! I will definitely be looking through your archives!

    I've even started a little blog of my own on first grade teaching.
    Check out my unit on Arctic animals.

    http://teachinghappilyeverafter.blogspot.com/

    ~*~Ash~*~

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love these! I am planning to share with my team! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Heidi, what a great blog! Definitely becoming a follower :) Thanks for all your ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Abby!
    I a fan of your blog too! Love all your ideas...thanks for the shares!

    ReplyDelete